Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Collosians 3:12-17


When we were searching for a Bible verse to incorporate into our wedding ceremony, we looked for something nontraditional. Something that really embodied the spirit of the weekend and the wedding.

When we found Collosians 3:12-17, we knew we had found the perfect verses.

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humilty, gentleness, and patience. Bearing with one another and forgiving each other, just as the Lord forgave you.

And above all these things, put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

These versus struck us for so many reasons. Mainly because they were about a community of people bearing with one and another and loving each other. That is what our wedding is all about. The few people in our lives who we hold most dear making a commitment with us as we make make one to each other that we will all bear together, forgive, and love each other as long as we all shall live. :-)

Between the 1000 other things going on for the wedding, I hadn't really thought much about the ceremony or the verse we had chosen. Then, last week, a giant box arrived in the mail. I opened it to discover it was a wedding gift from my parents. On the tag was a piece of this verse. Now that alone would have been enough of a sign for me, because I tend to be a big believer in signs, but combine it with the fact that no one knew we had chosen this verse and my mom has never sent me a Bible verse on any card, ever- and needless to say, I was kind of mind boggled.

I have an app on my phone that gives me a new Bible verse each day. I've had it for at least a year, and everyday the verse is different. Actually, there have been a few days I've gotten repeat verses, but never a verse from Collosians. The morning after I received the gift from my parents, my phone chimed. I picked it up to read my Bible verse for the day, and I bet you can guess, it was Collosians 3:12.

Choosing the verse and feeling so strongly about its message was enough for us. But I couldn't not share this story with everyone. It so cemented in our minds and hearts that the idea of the wedding and the feeling we have for all of you had also gotten God's "stamp of approval" so to speak. Pretty cool.

R + S

No comments:

Post a Comment